Content Section 1
Associate Head, of Asian American Studies and EUI
Junaid Rana is an associate professor of Asian American Studies with appointments in the Department of Anthropology, the Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, and the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory. His interests include transnational cultural studies, diaspora studies; community organizing and social movements; critical and comparative race studies, political economy, the postcolonial state; South Asia/Pakistan/US.
- PhD., Social Anthropology, University of Texas.
Distinctions / Awards
- Winner of the 2013 Book Award in Social Sciences from the Association for Asian American Studies
- Arnold O. Beckman Research Award. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011.
- Conrad Humanities Professorial Scholar Award, 2012-2017
- Outstanding Faculty/Staff Award. UIUC Asian American Cultural Center, 2009.
- Illinois Program for Research in Humanities Faculty Fellowship on Theme of Belief. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005-2006.
- Fulbright IIE Fellowship for study in Pakistan, 2000-2001.
- Humanities Release Time Award and Research Board Award, 2009.
- Center for Democracy in a Multiracial Society Faculty Fellowship. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007-2008.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Asian American Studies Program, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-2004.
- Terrifying Muslims: Race and Labor in the South Asian Diaspora. . Durham: Duke University Press, 2011.
- Rana, Junaid. "When Pakistanis Became Middle Eastern: Visualizing Racial Targets in the Global War on Terror." Between the Middle East and the Americas: The Cultural Politics of Diaspora. . Ed. Evelyn Alsultany and Ella Shohat. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2013.
- Rana, Junaid. "The Desperate U.S.-Pakistan Alliance." Dispatches from Pakistan. . Ed. Qalandar Memon, Vijay Prashad, and Madiha Tahir. New Delhi: LeftWord Books, 2012.
- Rana, Junaid. "Muslims in the Global City: Racism, Islamophobia, and Multiracial Organizing in Chicago." Reinventing Race, Reinventing Racism. . Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers, 2012.
- Rana, Junaid. "The Language of Terror: Panic, Peril, Racism ." State of White Supremacy: Racism, Governance, and the United States. . Ed. Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, Moon-Kie Jung, and Joao Vargas. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2011.
- Rana, Junaid. "Controlling Diaspora: Illegality, 9/11, and Pakistani Labor Migration." Pakistani Diasporas: Culture, Conflict, and Change. . Ed. Virinder Kalra. Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Rana, Junaid. "More than Nothing: The Persistence of Islamophobia in Post-Racial Racism ." Global Dialogue 12.2 (2010): <http://www.worlddialogue.org/contentuser.php?id=482>.
- "The Story of Islamophobia." Souls: A Critical Journal of Black Politics, Culture, and Society 9.2 (2007): 148-161.
- Rana, Junaid, and Gilberto Rosas. "Managing Crisis: Post-9/11 Policing and Empire." Cultural Dynamics 18.3 (2006): 219-234.