Content Section 1
Teaching Assistantships, 2017-2018 Academic Year
Posted Mon, 06 Feb 2017 08:00:00 CST
Category: Graduate Student
The Asian American Studies Department is advertising for three Teaching Assistants at 50% time for the 2017-2018 Academic Year. TAs will assist with the instruction of AAS 100: Introduction to Asian American Studies.
The rate of pay will be subject to the Graduate Employment Organization contract for a 50% appointment over a nine month period. Those selected for the positions will be expected to work hours and meet responsibilities commensurate with those outlined by the Graduate College and the University’s agreement with the GEO (http://www.ahr.illinois.edu/geo.pdf). The position begins August 16, 2017 and extends through to May 15, 2018.
- Teach assigned discussion sections for AAS 100.
- Attend all lectures. Be responsible for grading examinations and papers and/or for assisting the professor or course supervisor in grading. Lead review sessions for course examinations.
- Hold office hours for students for 1-2 hours per week in the AAS building, for the course.
- Generally assist the professor and/or course supervisor with class functions.
- Be familiar with university, departmental, and course policies on grading, exam scheduling, grievance procedures, plagiarism, and cheating. Attend the campus-wide orientation for teaching assistants conducted by the Office of Instructional Resources at least once.
- Attend all departmental teaching orientations.
- Expertise in Asian American Studies and/or Ethnic Studies
- Experience teaching and facilitating discussion sections.
- Eligible to hold a 50% time assistantship.
- Graduate student at the University of Illinois in a program that has not been designated as cost-recovery or self-supporting
E-mail the following to Christine, AAS Office Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- A brief letter of application detailing interest and qualifications for the assistantship.
- A current CV detailing your teaching, research, and service activities.
- A list of three references (name, mailing address, phone number, email address).
For full consideration, submit application by Friday, April 7, 2017. For more information, contact Christine Lyke at 333-3736, email@example.com
All applicants will be encouraged to complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Associate
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:00:00 CST
Category: Position Available
The Asian American Studies Department (AAS) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks one postdoctoral research associate for the 2017-2018 academic year. This is a one-year, non-renewable, appointment. Applicants should conduct research germane to Asian American Studies. Proposed research projects should have the potential to make a significant contribution to the field. This associate will be housed in the Department of Asian American Studies, but will also be provided opportunities to build a supportive on-campus community with the associates from African American Studies, American Indian Studies, and Latina Latino Studies.
Stipend and Benefits
$47,476 salary over a 12-month period. Additional $5,000 for research expenses. Comprehensive benefit package.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, must have received a doctorate or appropriate terminal degree within the past five years or have completed this requirement by July 31, 2017. They must demonstrate promise for a tenure-track appointment at a research college or university and their primary research focus must be Asian American, and/or transnational Asian populations in the U.S. and across the Asian Diaspora.
These are external appointments. Current University of Illinois faculty members and graduate students at the Urbana-Champaign campus are not eligible to apply. Scholars who received their Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are also not eligible for these appointments.
Create your candidate profile through the University of Illinois application login page at http://go.illinois.edu/AASPost-DocFellowshipApplication and upload your application materials:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of the research/writing project to be undertaken during the appointment
- Scholarly writing sample (20 page minimum)
- Graduate transcripts (copies are acceptable, but official transcripts may be requested at a later date)
- Contact information for two professional references. For candidates who have not yet completed their Ph.D. at the time of application, one of these letters must be from the chair of the dissertation committee addressing the likelihood of completion by the starting date of the associateship. Note: Letters of reference cannot be uploaded. You must request that your letter writers email (preferably) or mail their recommendations directly to the department (by the deadline):
Post Doc Review Committee
Department of Asian American Studies
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
1208 W Nevada St.
Urbana, IL 61801
To be considered, applications must be submitted by March 3, 2017. Additional materials may be requested at a later date.
For further information about the fellowship, contact the Department of Asian American Studies at (217)244-9530
Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).