Content section 1
Applying For Awards
The Jeffrey S. Tanaka Asian American Studies Grant
Sponsored by the Asian American Studies Department, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
for Graduate Students, 2018-2019
The Asian American Studies Department at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, is pleased to announce the availability of a graduate student research grant. The grant is designed to assist a graduate student with their research in areas directly relating to Asian American studies.
This research grant is named for Jeffrey S. Tanaka, a professor in the University of Illinois’ departments of Psychology and Educational Psychology until his untimely death in 1992. He was well known by his students for his generosity in mentoring graduate students.
- Any University of Illinois graduate student is eligible to apply, with preference given to dissertation writers.
- Grants are to be used to conduct research directly related to and which will contribute to the field of Asian American Studies.
- The grants in the amount of up to $300.00 must be used for direct research expenses, including travel and material purchases. All expenditures are subject to University guidelines.
- The grant must be expended by August 3, 2020.
Application materials must include the following:
- A current scholarly curriculum vitae.
- A two to three page statement describing the research project and how it will contribute to Asian American Studies.
- One letter of support from faculty research advisor.
- A budget outlining the amount of funds requested, how the grant will be utilized (detailing other sources of support for the project), and expected project completion date.
These should be emailed directly to Christine Lyke, Administrative Aide, at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone number (217) 244-9530.
Completed project, presentations, and any publications resulting from the project should include a clear acknowledgment of Asian American Studies Department support. Awardees will present their research by giving a research talk in Asian American Studies.
Please submit applications by Monday, March 18, 2019.